US Admissions Checklist
The following checklist is a detailed list of items you may need to apply to US universities. Follow instructions carefully and faithfully. If you don’t, your application may be delayed and may not even be considered.
- University Application Form: You can apply online or you can print the form and mail it. In many cases, you have to pay an application fee. The University of Maryland has a great website that shows what you must do in order to apply to its school www.international.umd.edu. Most universities have similar application processes.
- Official high school and college diploma and/or mark sheets. This is a big challenge for many international students because universities want originals. In other words, you cannot make a copy and send it to the university. Instead you must ask your high school or university to mail a copy directly to the university. Start this process early as universities may take some time to issue the transcripts.
- Official High School Transcripts and its evaluation (for Undergraduate students) and/or an official course-by-course transcript and/or World Education Services (WES) evaluation of foreign educational credentials. For complete list of evaluation agencies please follow the link: www.naces.org.
- Proof of Language Proficiency (original TOEFL or IETS Scores) TOEFL minimum scores: iBT 61 or greater, CBT 173 or greater, PBT 500 or greater IELTS minimum score: BAND 5.5 or greater. Most universities would like 550. (All test scores must not be more than two years old)( Note: Scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to the University – photocopies or student copies of the score reports are not acceptable)
- Proof of Immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR), HBV & Tetanus
- Photocopy of Passport, (first and last page) and copy of Visa, and I-94 card (if currently in the US)
- Current and previous I-20s (if transfer student) or DS 2019 (if J1 visa holder)
- F-1 Visa Compliance Form Affidavit of Support (signed and stamped by Notary Public/Legal Official)
- Original Financial Documents in form of Bank Statements or letters
- Two (2) or more academic or professional Letters of Recommendation (Graduate Students Only)
- Graduate students must complete Program Specific Requirements which may include a writing assessment including essay or Statement of Purpose